The school was founded in 1902, by the Seely family of
Sherwood Lodge (now Nottinghamshire Police Headquarters).
The story told is that children were spotted from the Seely car
struggling through snow and ice to school in Arnold. Shortly
afterwards it was decided to build a school for the children who
lived on the estate. The building is now a private house next door
to the school. You can still see 1902 on the front elevation.
The Seely family “governed” the school known as Sherwood Lodge School till 1956 when
they passed the responsibility to St. Paul’s Church, Daybrook (another building for which the
Seely family were benefactors) at the same time the school was renamed Seely Church of
England Aided Primary School.
In 2002 a major building project was undertaken which joined all
parts of the modern school building together and gave us a
fantastic multi-purpose hall which is now the focal point of our
school. This build gave us the opportunity to create the purpose
ICT suite and gives our children the modern
facilities they deserve. We have a wonderful sense of space
around the school which, allied with our magnificent outdoor
grounds, makes our school a fantastic environment in which to be.
On 1st September 2016 we were proud to become part of the Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham Multi Academy Trust and to change our name to 'Burntstump Seely C of E Primary Academy'.